The Front of House Coordinator will assist the NLA Event Manager in front of house customer service and administrative duties as the face of NLA at The London Centre for all visitors and clients engaging with the space. The role will support the wider NLA event team with general administrative and operational tasks, booking and assisting with a broad range of private events in the space.
The role is ideal for a highly organized individual, with a passion for galleries and public interaction and an interest in architecture and the built environment. The successful candidate will have initiative, will be a great communicator who possesses strong customer service skills and a creative approach to problem solving with the ability to work on several complex tasks simultaneously whilst remaining calm under pressure.
The London Centre will be NLA’s new home from April 2023, following a move from our existing venue, The City Centre. It will be a place where our members, community groups and the public can explore, learn, and celebrate London’s built environment. It will also be the base for our flagship programmes, including the London Festival of Architecture, Don’t Move, Improve! and the London Real Estate Forum.
NLA at The London Centre will include a public gallery featuring scale models of London, an event space and the Changing Face of London exhibition. The project is in partnership with the City of London Corporation in support of its ‘Destination City’ strategy to attract more people into the Square Mile.
Private hire is an essential part of NLA at The London Centre’s offer. The front of house and event team manage bookings, including coordinating catering and AV for a range of meetings, conferences, away days and receptions.
Reports to: NLA Event Manager At The London Centre
Main duties and responsibilities
- Management of front desk and general enquiries
- Provide exceptional customer services to all visitors and NLA members
- Telephone reception duties and taking enquiries for the London Centre and NLA
- Upkeep of front of house areas and exhibition gallery; taking pride in the presentation of the space maintaining an excellent standard of appearance
- Opening and closing of the venue, exhibition and AV switch on/off
- Whenever necessary assist with the viewings of event space and the gallery both proactively at the Event Manager’s request
- Reporting maintenance issues and overseeing contractors
- Day-to-day administrative office support
- Assisting with public and private events (may involve some out of office hours)
- Taking bookings and enquiries and administering booking forms and catering
- Diary management to maximise event capacity
- Booking casual events staff
- Booking and overseeing FoH casual staff on Saturdays
- Front of house event support including registration, sign-in and cloakroom, checking event set up and client liaison
- Working with facilities to ensure the smooth running of the venue
- Setting up A/V at events and managing any issues
- Facilitating refreshments for internal meetings
Essential Skills & Abilities
- Clear and effective communication skills, both oral and written
- Previous experience within the hospitality or events industry
- Previous experience as Front of House staff
- Proven ability to provide excellent customer service
- Working knowledge of Microsoft packages including Word, Excel and Outlook
- Ability to follow tasks through to completion.
- The ability to prioritise effectively, managing a busy diary and varied workload to meet demands and deadlines
- A flexible approach in terms of work, changes and participation
- Good team player
- Ability to take initiative; a self starter
- Willingness to learn
- Willing to work early mornings, evenings and the occasional weekend day, as required (TOIL given)
Desirable Qualifications and Experience
- Proven ability to deliver high quality events
- Knowledge of event catering
- Previous experience using accountancy software, preferably Xero
Holiday: 25 days per year (including Christmas closure) plus bank holidays.
The normal working week is 40 hours, Tuesday to Saturday.
To apply, please follow the link to our website, this will link to the recruitment page where you can apply sending your CV and a covering letter no later than Friday 17th February.
Early applications are encouraged as we are keen to secure interviews before the deadline date.
It is the policy of NLA to treat all employees, visitors, and job applicants fairly and equally regardless of their sex, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union membership status.