Reports to: NLA Head of Events and Venues
Salary: Hourly rate, £12 per hour
Contract: Fixed term. Min. 32 hours per week. June 21st until end of September, 2021
New London Architecture (NLA) is London’s centre for excellence for the built environment.
Our purpose is to make London a better place for those who live, work and visit.
We do this through a busy year-round programme of research, events, festivals, exhibitions, publications, promoting debate and discussion about the future of cities.
NLA at Coal Drops Yard provides access for professionals, the public and young people, helping to inform good decision-making and inspiring young people to engage with the built environment.
The Front of House Coordinator will assist the NLA Head of Events and Venues in front of house customer service and administrative duties as the face of NLA at Coal Drops Yard for all visitors and clients engaging with the space.
The role will support the wider NLA events and venues team with front of house customer service, operational tasks and assisting with a range of private events in the space.
The role is ideal for a highly organized individual, with a passion for galleries and public interaction and an interest in architecture and the built environment. The successful candidate will have initiative, will be a great communicator who possesses strong customer service skills and a creative approach to problem solving with the ability to work on several complex tasks simultaneously whilst remaining calm under pressure.
· Ensuring that visitor experience maintains a very high level by interacting with all visitors and informing them about the exhibition and NLA
· Upkeep of front of house areas and exhibition gallery maintaining an excellent standard of appearance
· Management of general enquiries
· Opening and closing of the venue, exhibition and AV switch on/off
· Reporting any maintenance issues to Head of Events and Venues
· Day-to-day administrative support if needed
· Assisting with public and private events (may involve some out of office hours)
· Diary management to maximise meeting / event capacity
· Front of house event support including registration, sign-in and cloakroom, checking event set up and client liaison
· Setting up A/V at events and managing any issues
· Facilitating refreshments for internal meetings with our on-site coffee shop
What we are looking for
Essential Skills & Abilities:
· Clear and effective communication skills, both oral and written
· Previous experience within galleries or event venues
· Proven ability to provide excellent customer service
· Working knowledge of Microsoft packages including Word, Excel and Outlook
· Ability to follow tasks through to completion
· The ability to prioritise effectively, managing a busy diary and varied workload to meet demands and deadlines
· A flexible approach in terms of work, changes and participation
· Good team player
Ability to take initiative; a self‐starter
· Willingness to learn
· Willing to work early mornings, evenings and weekends, as required (overtime paid by the hour)
Desirable Qualifications and Experience:
· A keen interest in architecture and London’s built environment
· Proven ability to deliver high quality events
It is the policy of NLA to treat all employees, visitors, and job applicants fairly and equally regardless of their sex, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
How to apply
To apply, please follow the link
to our recruitment page where you can apply by sending your CV and covering letter by Friday 4 June. Early applications are encouraged.