Advocating best practice in community engagement
There is a growing understanding that involving communities in the shaping of the city does not achieve as much as it could, often lacking rigour and impact. How can communities be better valued in the shaping of our cities? How can we ensure that current exemplars in enabling communities become intrinsic to the built environment industry?
The new NLA Enabling Communities programme will discuss, define and promote best practice in engaging with communities as active and participatory agents in shaping the city, championing a more collective, representative and meaningful approach to the design, development and delivery of places in London and beyond.
- Promote best practice, by showcasing examples of community engagement within the built environment sector, which achieve a more collective, representative and meaningful approach to the design and development of places in London and beyond.
- Support and facilitate new community-focused projects/initiatives.
- Think Tank to develop agenda, and to develop proposals for the three pilot projects, April 2020
- PechaKucha to showcase examples of best practice in community engagement for shaping the built environment, May 2020
- PechaKucha to showcase examples of best practice in community engagement for shaping the built environment, October – November 2020
- NLA digital publication sharing pilot projects and examples of best practice from programme PechaKuchas, Autumn 2020
- Pecha Kucha to showcase examples of best practice in community engagement for shaping the built environment, January 2020
- Update Meeting: development of three pilot projects, with announcement and next steps of NLA’s Enabling Communities programme, September 2019
- Roundtable 3: contributor presentations and selection of three of pilot projects for further development, July 2019
- Roundtable 2: workshop session to brainstorm 11 pilot project ideas, June 2019
- Working Group Meeting: inaugural meeting of experts in this field to discuss issues and identify priorities for community engagement within the built environment, May 2019
- Roundtable 1: discussion around current challenges, and agenda topics and priorities for future discussions, May 2019