PLEDGE ONE – RECRUITMENT
We commit to an equitable, transparent recruitment process. We will set a target for our overall diversity of staff that is relative to our area demographics (see NLA Diverse Leaders Resources page
). In the case of London’s working age population, 38% Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic and 52% female as of April 2020, as well as an action plan to achieve this target.
- We will identify a target for the diversity of the organisation relative to our area’s working age population.
- We will identify a timeframe within which to achieve our diversity target.
- All job advertisements will be publicly advertised where they are most likely to attract diversity of applicants with a salary range for that role and applications from underrepresented groups publicly encouraged.
- We will review our recruitment process to mitigate bias, for example by implementing blind applications where possible and ensuring that applications are reviewed by more than one assessor.
- We will interview a set percentage of Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic and female candidates for all positions in line with our area demographics
- Hiring decisions will be tracked in diverse terms and used to assess which part of the process could be improved. The anonymised data on applicants will be tracked throughout the hiring process and used to assess areas of improvement.
- Feedback will be made readily available to all interview candidates.
PLEDGE TWO - PROGRESSION
We commit to closing our gender and ethnicity pay gaps. We will work towards senior leadership being representative and in line with staff diversity targets.
- We will measure and publish our gender and ethnicity pay gap and set targets and an action plan for closing them. This includes regularly reviewing staff pay in line with an equal pay policy.
- We will provide baseline data for workplace diversity monitoring and track our progress against this
- We will appoint a ‘Diversity Champion’, who provides visible leadership on diversity within the organisation, and drives the delivery of the action plan
- We will commit to zero tolerance of harassment, bullying and discrimination of any kind. We will implement a clear procedure for reporting grievances which is open beyond line management structures.
- We will embed mentoring, reverse mentoring and/or sponsorship within our organisation.
- Opportunities will be made available to have different voices of the organisation represented externally. We will send balanced representation to organised networking events, with senior representatives responsible for making introductions and assisting junior representatives in establishing new connections
PLEDGE THREE – ADVOCACY
We commit to promoting diversity of practice and practitioners.
- We will support groups advocating for fairer, more inclusive practice, whether this is financially, by working in partnership with them, by reviewing our own practice, or by outwardly advocating ourselves.
- We commit to tell the stories of diverse people and provide a platform for better representation.