Newest trends in a fast-changing sector, exploring what works
The retail and hospitality sector faces an unprecedented era of flux. Probably one of the sectors most affected by covid-19: the 2-metre rule will lead to lower occupancy and fewer customers in shops at any one time; there will be fewer people working in central business districts, impacting on retail, food and beverage outlets; in central London, the drop in international tourism will add to the pain. How can the built environment sector adapt successfully for the future of London’s high streets?
From world-leading shopping street destinations, to neighbourhood high streets and meanwhile spaces, London encompasses a diverse spectrum of retail and hospitality environments. With the rise of rents, new technologies and changing consumer expectations, London’s retail and hospitality landscape was already evolving fast to meet new demands.
What makes London’s most successful retail and hospitality environments good places? Does the retail planned for new and regenerated neighbourhoods meet the needs and desires of inhabitants? How can London provide additional affordable accommodation to enhance the capital’s tourism offer?
This year-round programme examines the changing landscape of London’s retail and hospitality sector, investigating the current threats to the sector and exploring best practice solutions to meet changing demands.
- Exploring synergies with alternative models providing spaces to live, work and play
- Conversions: adapting heritage buildings for hospitality uses
- Flexibility: repurposing of shops and hotels – potential links to PRS and student accommodation sector
- Retail and hospitality regeneration: impact of successful ground floor units, tenant mix and opening up social spaces to local communities
- Tech innovations and best practice for sustainability
- Annual ‘state of the sector’ briefing on trends, figures and threats
- Build Back Better, rethinking the high street, PechaKucha, July 2020
- Retail and Hospitality Expert Panel, 2021
2019 – Study tour
2019 – London’s Retail, Exploring What Works, research paper launch, Breakfast Talk
2019 – The future of Retail in London, Think Tank
2018 – The Future of Retail, Pecha Kucha
2017 – Taking Stock: London’s evolving markets. Breakfast talk
2016 – The regeneration of London’s Town Centres. Half-day conference
2014 – Town Centres and Retail. Half-day conference
2019 – London’s Hotels: Expanding social spaces
2019 – London’s Retail: Exploring what works
2007 – Away from Home
2007 – SHOP – New retail space for London
MORE ONLINE AND PUBLISHED CONTENT...