Bringing the built environment together to discuss solutions for a low carbon future for London
To meet the Paris Agreement declaration and limit global average temperature rise to 1.5 degrees above pre-industrial levels, the Mayor of London has declared a climate emergency, committing to become carbon neutral by 2050, followed by the UK Government who passed a legally binding law to bring all greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2050. The built environment currently accounts for at least 40% of the total carbon emissions in UK, and massive changes are needed from the sector to drastically reduce the environmental impact on the planet.
This will require all new buildings to be net zero carbon by 2030 and all existing ones by 2050. Do we have the skills and the right processes in place to design truly zero-carbon buildings? How do we address the huge challenge of retrofitting the existing building stock to new energy efficiency standards? How can we reduce the embodied carbon and move towards a circular economy approach?
This year-round programme brings together built environment professionals and decision makers to share best practise and accelerate solutions to stop climate change and create a greener, zero-carbon London. In 2020 we will develop a major piece of research focused on Net Zero, that will be launched with a publication, exhibition and series of events with a key focus on the re use of existing buildings and the design of buildings based on the concept of long life loose fit.
- Achieving net zero
- Post Occupancy Evaluation
- Circular Economy and sustainable materials
- Green infrastructure
Proposed for 2020
- Net Zero Think Tank, April 2020
- Net Zero homes — are regulations fit for purpose? Breakfast Talk, June 2020
- Net-zero: key agenda for London, Think Tank, December 2019
- Designing for a changing climate — towards zero-carbon London Half-day conference, September 2019
- London Climate Action Week, mailer, July 2019
- Living Walls — London Wall Place, Study Tour, April 2019
- Past and future heroes — inspiration for a sustainable future, NLA talk at FutureBuild 2019, March 2019
- Embedding the circular economy in London, Half-day conference, November 2018
- Natural Cities: Can London become the ‘greenest global city’? Breakfast Talk, July 2018
- How can businesses contribute to London’s clean air? Lunchtime talk, July 2018
- The future of sustainability certifications, Think Tank, April 2018
- London’s air pollution — ideas for a healthier and greener city, NLA event for EcoBuild 2018, March 2018
- Building a carbon neutral London — an architects’ response, NLA event for EcoBuild 2018, March 2018
- London 2050: is a greener, zero-carbon city possible? Pecha Kucha, February 2018